Welcome to the ¡BAMLog! website at www.bamlog.com. Links, logs, photos, and more for the broadcast DXer since 2000.
TNT (Top 'Net Ten) on ¡BAMLog!
1. Remote Control Variable Termination SuperLoop
2. FCC AM Query
3. Cuba Radio Map
4. Current Solar Forecast
5. AM Broadcast Tower Sites
6. European Medium Wave Guide (EMWG)
7. MW Offsets List
8. MW List
9. Micro SuperLoop
10. Silent MW Radio Countries
Broadcast DX Clubs
National Radio Club/DX Audio Service (NRC/DXAS)
- Founded in September, 1933, the National Radio Club is a non-profit organization devoted to the mediumwave DX hobby. Publisher of DX News magazine and the DX Audio Service audio magazine. (Bruce Conti is the International DX Digest columnist for DX News.)
Boston Area DXers (BADX)
- A group of SWLs and DXers who meet informally once a month to talk about stations we have heard, shortwave listening, and DXing in general.
Ontario DX Association (ODXA)
- A club for radio listeners, publisher of Listening In magazine. QSL manager for CFRB and CHWO. Listen to ODXA Perspectives on HCJB's DX Partyline.
- "A group of DXers that enjoys listening to Latin American radio stations (specializing in México). We share information on what we hear, tips on when/what to listen for, information on equipment used, and more."
International Radio Club of America (IRCA)
- Check here for the upcoming DX test schedule by Lynn Hollerman, plus DX tips, the latest list of expanded band stations, and general information about BCB DXing.
Medium Wave Circle (MWC)
- Europe's premier medium wave DX club. Select An Introduction (by RNW) for a discussion about medium wave DXing from Radio Netherlands.
British DX Club (BDXC)
- Produces the BDXC Tape Circle, with members sharing DX and experiences on a monthly audio magazine, and publisher of Radio Stations in the United Kingdom, a guide to all UK and Irish MW and FM radio stations.
European DX Counsil (EDXC)
- Maintains a worldwide radio country list.
New Zealand Radio DX League
- "DXing Kiwi style!" Publisher of DX Times magazine, this site includes archived articles, history, and the South Pacific DX Report broadcast schedule.
Grupo Radioescucha Argentino
- Aficionados al hobby del diexismo y la radioescucha desde hace más de 18 años.
Asociación Española de Radioescucha (AER)
- La AER es una asociación española... dedicada a la promoción del diexismo y la radioescucha en el mundo, especialmente en España y América Latina.
Irkutsk DX Circle
- "An information exchange about all aspects of our hobby - DXing, in particular concerning broadcasting from/to C.I.S. and Russia."
- American Broadcast DX, discussion list, coordinated monitoring events, covering LF to satellite.
Worldwide TV-FM DX Association (WTFDA)
- "Serving the VHF-UHF enthusiast... This is the club that loves tropospheric ducting!"
British FM & TV Circle
- Home of FM & TV DX in the UK. Explore what FM/TV DXing is like across the pond.
Outstanding DX Related Links
- MW-Specific Sites
Ydun's Medium Wave Info
- News, reports, and loggings from the long and medium wave bands.
Mark's Radio, Electronics, Music, and other Web Links
- Mark Connelly, WA1ION, is the designer of many of the antenna phasing units used by MW DXers. Find construction plans for phasing units, and many other interesting DX links.
- Beverage antenna mediumwave DX by Martin Hall GM8IEM in Scotland.
Sylvain Naud's Quebec DX
- Long and medium wave DX from Quebec.
- The distant AM station reception hobby, 150 to 1800 kHz, site by Craig Healy. Database includes over 3,300 directional antenna patterns.
- From the Valhalla Beach DX bus located north of Winnipeg.
Long Beach Island DXpeditions
- Reports from the annual New Jersey coast event.
Lemmenjoki, Finland DX
- The Radiosivut page of Esa Hänninen's web site, featuring the Lemmenjoki, Finland DXpeditions.
- Logs, photos, and more from extreme northeast Norway.
Cape DX/Springbok Radio
- Loggings, verifications, and audio from South Africa including various coastal DXpeditions, by Gary Deacon.
Newfoundland Ultralight Radio DXers
- Logs and photos by Allen Willie.
- A repository of DX recordings, logs, photos and links aimed primarily at the avid medium wave DXer, created by Peter Jernakoff of Delaware.
DX Clip Joint
- DX audio files, examples of long distance AM broadcast reception.
The Wobbler - A Mystery Radio Signal
- Investigation of the so-called Cuban wobblers by W.Curt Deegan. Noted dead link Nov 2012.
- Solar Activity
- Current global propagation conditions, solar activity, and information, by columnist Tomas Hood, NW7US.
NZ4O MF Radiowave Propagation Forecast
- By Thomas F. Giella.
Solar Terrestrial Activity Report
- Prepared by Jan Alvestad of the DX Listeners' Club.
Solar Cycle 24.com
- "All of your solar and auroral needs in one place!" by VE3EN.
Current Solar Forecast
- Report of solar-geophysical activity prepared jointly by the US Dept of Commerce, NOAA, the Space Environment Center, and the US Air Force.
3-Day Estimated Kp Index Monitor
- SEC/NOAA Planetary K-Index graphical representation updated dynamically every 15 minutes.
Solar Wind Chart
- Red trace of Bz at the top must be negative (southward) for auroral DX conditions during a geomagnetic storm.
SEC Geophysical Alert Message
- Describes the new format and defines terminology used in the three-hourly WWV broadcasts.
POES Auroral Oval
- Polar Orbiting Environmental Satellites real-time auroral oval images.
CARISMA Auroral Oval
- Canadian Array for Realtime Investigations of Magnetic Activity current and archived auroral oval graphics.
OVATION Auroral Oval
- Oval Variation Assessment Tracking Intensity and Online Nowcasting real-time and archived auroral oval images.
National Institute of Information and Communications Technology
- NICT Space Weather Information Center in Japan.
- N1BUG collection of auroral oval images.
- Science news and information about the Sun-Earth environment. Sunspots, solar flares, indices, coronal holes, geomagnetic storms... it's all here!
The Basics of Radio Wave Propagation
- By Edwin C. Jones, MD, PhD, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Tennessee.
IPS Radio and Space Services
- The Australian Space Weather Agency.
US Naval Observatory
- Obtain sunrise/sunset data for any location worldwide.
- Radio Station Databases and Listings
- Database of all longwave, mediumwave, and tropical band radio stations worldwide with Google Map links to transmitter sites.
- World Radio TV Handbook directory of global broadcasting, domestic and international. Updates to the latest edition.
MW Offsets List
- Accurate frequency measurements of AM radio stations worldwide.
Broadcasting Stations of the World
- Publication of the U.S. Foreign Broadcast Information Service, 1953-1974 archives at the University of Illinois.
Silent MW Radio Countries
- Nations no longer active on the AM broadcast band.
Radio AM en America Latina
- mwlist.org directory.
- Argentina AM radio database.
Lista de Emissoras Brasileiras de Ondas Médias
- From DX Clube do Brasil, "The most complete list of Brazilian MW stations... compiled with the help of dozens of Brazilian DXers and periodically updated."
Estaciones Autorizadas de Radiodifusion
- MTC list of Peru AM and FM radio stations (pdf).
Peru AM Radio update
- Compilation of new authorizations 2013-2014.
- Directorio de radio emisoras cubanas.
Cuba Radio Map
- Mapped compilation of Cuban AM radio stations widely received in the U.S.
Cuba Plan pdf
- Cuba station list compiled by Mauricio Molano from EcuRed, April 2011.
EcuRed Cuba Station List
- Reference for the 2009 CTOM/Molano and 2012 WRTH listings.
Identify that Cuban on AM!
- Station identification recordings by Brett Saylor N3EVB.
European Medium Wave Guide (EMWG)
- This publication compiled by Herman Boel "gives an overview of literally all long and medium wave stations in Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East."
UK Free TV/Radio
- Comprehensive list of all UK radio stations on FM, MW and LW, with links to coverage maps.
The Pacific Asian Log (PAL)
- "A list of all known medium wave broadcast stations in the Asia-Pacific region from Afghanistan to Alaska," compiled by Bruce Portzer, N7ECJ.
- AM, FM, and TV broadcasting in south and southeast Asia, maintained by WRTH contributor Alan G. Davies.
KOH KOJE KOMEX Lists
- Finnish DX Association database of Hawaiian, Mexican, and Yankee stations.
Caribbean News Link
- Online radio stations sorted by country.
United States (FCC)
CDBS Public Access
- Search FCC Media Bureau databases for AM, FM, TV, LPTV, and DTV broadcast stations.
FCC AM Query
- FCC AM broadcast station search engine.
FCC General Menu Reports
- Search for licensed HAR/TIS stations.
U.S. and Canada
Industry Canada Spectrum Direct
- Frequency range search engine.
The Canada/US AM Station Info Lookup Page
- Calculate distance and bearing, look up sunrise/sunset times, and search for station information by call letters and format.
AM/FM Signal Strengths
- Find the field strengths of AM and FM stations serving a location by zip code.
- The FCC search engine by Cavell, Mertz & Davis Inc. with mapping linked to Google Earth.
- Links to over 10,000 radio stations and 2,500 audio streams, formerly the MIT list of stations on the Internet.
- Find a radio station, song, or commercial.
100000 Watts: US Radio & TV Directory
- M Street radio and TV listings plus news headlines, by subscription.
The AMANDX Pages
- Canadian AM/FM directory, databases for SWL and amateur radio.
Fred Cantu's Mexico Radio/TV
- The premier directory of Mexican radio and TV since 1993.
- Infraestructura de Estaciones de Radio AM. Mexican AM radio station list (pdf).
- Select Navaids to search the database for longwave non-directional beacons by identifier, name, or frequency.
LW Radio Beacons
- Compiled by William Hepburn, LWCA.
The Interval Signals Archive
- "A collection of audio clips of foreign radio stations, with identification announcements in various languages, signature tunes and jingles, and of course interval signals."
NOAA Weather Radio
- Station listings and coverage.
- NOAA Weather Radio streaming audio directory.
- TVGOS database and DTV transition information.
Boston Metro Area Unlicensed (Pirate) AM/FM Stations
- 2013 survey by Bruce Conti.
- National Anthems
- Choral and instrumental anthems. Flash audio or download mp3 files.
- Instrumental anthems. Listen to mp3 streaming audio.
U.S. Navy Band Anthems
- "Intended for official use by DoD and U.S. government offices only."
- Additional Resources
- The Web Resource for Radio Hobbyists sponsored by Universal Radio and originally created by Harry Helms, it's all about DXing, the art and science of listening to distant stations.
- Informational website sponsored by C.Crane to assist radio listeners.
- The reliable information source for radio hobbyists. Includes the 2002 Chamberlain, Maine DXpedition report.
- "Your source for broadcasting news in the northeastern US and eastern Canada." Home of the Tower Site Calendar and the Northeast Radio Watch.
- The latest DX news, features, and links from the UK by Mark Hattam.
- An extensive collection of radio reviews, comparisons, and restorations.
- WorldStation software by Robert Griffin KC2JJM pulls together Aoki, EiBi, HFCC, and FCC AM databases, Google Earth, plus receiver computer control.
- A collection of links to Latin American radio stations.
Broadcast Law Blog
- AM radio page.
- Online remotely controlled receivers located around the world.
- Tune and listen to Software Defined Radio receivers worldwide.
- Software defined radio (SDR) website.
On The Shortwaves.com
- "Devoted primarily to the history of shortwave broadcasting and the shortwave broadcast DX hobby. Because the roots of shortwave DXing were in the hobby of long distance mediumwave listening, we also cover early broadcast band DXing..."
Early Radio History
- "Articles and extracts about early radio and related technologies," by Thomas H. White.
Radio Heritage Foundation
- Based in New Zealand, "Sharing the stories of Pacific radio."
The Vane A. Jones Log
- North American Radio-TV Station Guide and more radio publication archives.
American Radio History
- Radio Logs and Station Lists - 1920's to the 1980's.
Broadcasting Stations of the World
- Publication of the U.S. Foreign Broadcast Information Service (CIA), 1953-1974 archives at the University of Illinois.
Canadian Communications Foundation
- Go to Engineering to read "DXing - The Art of Listening to Distant Signals," complete with photos, by Brent Taylor.
Jim Hawkins' Radio and Broadcast Technology Page
- Featuring broadcast transmitter facilities of VOA, 700 WLW, WABC-77, RCI, and other standard broadcast stations with over 300 pictures.
Nick's Radio Corner
- "Radio station odds & ends to share."
- Explore the world in 3D.
- The FCC search engine by Cavell, Mertz & Davis Inc. with mapping linked to Google Earth.
- By William H. Scott WE7W, groundwave coverage pattern maps for U.S. AM broadcast stations.
- Source of island maps.
Cuba Radio Map
- Map and Google Earth coordinates of Cuban AM radio stations widely received in the U.S.
Microsoft Research Maps
- Topographical and aerial maps; this is the mapping service linked in FCC AM Query results.
Lat-Long Distance Estimates
- Free software for calculating the great circle shortest surface distance between two points, accounting for the elliptical shape of the Earth.
- Free Azimuthal-Equidistance (Great Circle) Map Generator software by Paul Burton AA6Z.
- World mapping software to display areas of daylight, darkness, and the grayline path.
- QSO/SWL realtime maps.
National Geophysical Data Center: Magnetic Declination
- Calculate the difference between magnetic and true north for any given coordinates.
- Search for places in the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency database.
Broadcast DX Receiving Antennas
- Construction Diagrams
- The broadband loop is bi-directional, producing a figure-8 reception pattern. With a "floating ground" it doesn't require a good earth ground at the antenna to perform well, making it ideal for a balcony, rooftop, or any location where grounding isn't practical. It's an easy to build low noise antenna.
Corner-Fed Broadband Loop
- A broadband loop with a corner feed-point results in performance close to unidirectional with improved reception in one direction.
- Addition of a series terminating resistor changes corner-fed broadband loop reception pattern from a modified figure-8 to a cardioid with > 30 dB backside null. A member of the family of terminated broadband loop antennas including the Delta and Flag, the super-sized dimensions produce exceptional gain at low angles for long distance mediumwave reception.
Remote Control Variable Termination SuperLoop
- A transformer isolated remote potentiometer replaces the fixed resistor termination. Works with any terminated broadband loop antenna.
Flag & Pennant
- Variations of the terminated broadband loop with floating ground, producing a unidirectional cardioid reception pattern.
Cross-Phased Delta Loop Antennas
- Taking advantage of 'natural' phasing between two variable termination Delta antennas on a single support.
Comparison of Delta Variants
- Delta, Double Delta, and Cross-Phased Delta Antennas
- Broadband active loop for car roof use designed by Mark Connelly WA1ION.
- Produces a unidirectional cardioid reception pattern. A good earth ground is required.
- The classic narrow-beam wave-guide antenna; a terminated long wire, greater than or equal to one wavelength long, performs best over poor ground conductivity.
- Tilted Terminated Folded Dipole description by Fred Vobbe.
Homebrew 5-ft Folded Dipole FM Antenna
- A simple and effective outdoor bidirectional FM antenna.
- Beverage Resources
Misek Antenna Research
- Publisher of The Beverage Antenna Handbook, supplier of transformer cores, clips, and FETs used in Beverage antenna construction.
Oak Ridge Radio
- The Byan remote-controlled termination.
The Wave Antenna for 200-Meter Reception by H.H.Beverage, QST, November 1922.
The Classic Beverage Antenna, Revisited by H.H.Beverage and Doug DeMaw, QST, January 1982.
- RF Matching Isolation Transformers
- Manufacturer of the ALA100 and FLG100 active RF matching transformers for broadband loop antennas.
- K1FZ model KB-5 Pennant Antenna Transformer for broadband loop antennas.
- RF matching transformers and splitters.
Ferrite Core (Newark Electronics)
- Fair-Rite #2873000202 binocular ferrite core for DIY RF matching isolation tramsformer.
Build Your Own RF Isolation/Matching Transformer
- The simple DIY project for a broadband loop antenna with a Mini-Circuits transformer or by winding your own.
- Antenna Modeling
EZNEC - Antenna modeling software by W7EL.
Broadcast DX Logbooks
Flora and Fauna of Mine Falls Park, Nashua NH - Nature photos.
2012 Presidential Primary: Covering the Coverage
- A photo journal of media activities in Manchester, New Hampshire, leading up to Election Day.
AM Broadcast Tower Sites
- Transmitter site photos.
Radio Canada International (RCI)
- Shortwave transmitter site in Sackville, New Brunswick.
- Photo Gallery
Thank you for visiting ¡BAMLog! © 2000-2014 Bruce A. Conti, 'contiba at gmail dot com'. (Updated 04 November 2014)